We proudly present: printmate, a Berlin-based packaging start-up and its Web to print story
The Berlin-based start-up printmate prints individually designed shipping cartons in small to medium quantities. Founder Julian Jost, who was formerly responsible for packaging management at Zalando, kept getting requests from start-ups and other small-quantity dispatchers, who wanted to know from which supplier Zalando got its well-known cartons. In January 2015 printmate approached us with their idea to produce packaging for this target group, a sample carton and the technical specs needed for the realization of an online shop with a 3D-editor.
It took the team of CloudLab only three months to design the whole Magento shop, including the development of the print data editor with adjusted functions. Since the launch of our shop, we have been constantly taking good care of it.
Our tasks at the start of the printmate project:
- Completion of the whole web to print online shop in responsive design including the development of a complete Magento custom theme
- Development and integration of a Weclapp ERP interface
- Integration of social media plugins (facebook and twitter)
The shop went online already in April 2015. Meanwhile, a rotatable 3D-preview was integrated in the WYSIWYG-editor, which can be used to design the packaging live and on the product – ready to print.
Our service in detail:
- adjustment of the designer and the form-editor with additional features, such as a snap-to-grid function
- detailed 3D-animation and print preview of the freshly designed product (incl. animation of the folding process of the carton and detailed visualization of the corrugated structure)
- After completion of the product design a ready-to-print PDF-file is generated (including all necessary information such as cutting die or fonts used) and placed in the shopping cart